28 Jan Marriage Matching – Part 1
Hopefully this article should be a guide to all those who have queries related Marriage matching.
In India, marriage is regarded as a religious sacrament and marriage comprehends the equality of the partner in respect of Dharma (right conduct), Artha (financial position), Kama (sex relation) and Moksha (final salvation).These days so much is made of the sex element in marriage that the other equally important factors, social and psychological( Mental matching), are practically ignored.
When we meet up with foreigners abroad or in India, most foreigners are curious to know about our tradition etc.. and when such discussion come up over a cup of coffee,many of the foreigners, were surprised on the Indian way of arranged marriage. Some of them were questioning, ” How can you live with a person whom you have not met at all in your life?” My answer to them, was that in their countries, inspite of knowing well each other before marriage the divorce rates are like 53% in USA, Belgium is 70% and many other countries are all nearing 50%.
The answer to the above question is given to us by our great seers and Rishi’s through Astrology. Astrology as devised a method to identify the agreements ( Kuta), between the horoscopes of both Bride and the bride groom and by this method the tragedies can be reduced.
What are the key Factors for matching a Horoscope chart for Marriage?
- The first step is to check the longevity of Bride and Bride groom
- The next step is to check the Agreements ( Kutas/Porutham’s)
- Third step is to check the horoscope on any affliction or obstacles related to Marriage on 7th/8th house .
- Check the strength of Mars( Mangal) for Bride and Venus ( Shukra) for the Groom, and see if any Rahu/Ketu Affliction to these planets.
- Check for Mangal Dosha ( Chovva Dosha) and see if it matches each other.
- Check of Malefic ( Papa ) Planets, and see if it tally with each of horoscopes.
From our research it is found that Mars being an aggressive planet,must be well matched from the other horoscope. We have seen in many cases, that Mars in 7th or 8th house from Lagna is a severe Mangal Dosha and must be matched properly with same Dosha in the other horoscope, else the result of marriage can be a concern, unless there is other compensating factors in the horoscope.
Agreement ( Porutham/ Kuta)
There are few important Porutham’s that needs to have maximum points. Below mentioned are Key agreements. Iam only mentioning few of the important ones, however while you individually match please ensure the entire matching is done and not just below mentioned ones.
- Gana Kuta/Porutham – Gana means temperament. This is to check if both boy and girl would match the temperament. This is seen from the birth star of the boy and girl. There are certain birth stars that matches the temperament or Gana. If Gana does not match there would be less harmony in married life. These Gana’s are divided into 3 types which is DEVA Gana ( Good, Charitable ,Ideal, amicable), Manusha Gana(Practical, and has a mixed temperament) and Rakshasa Gana( Violent, irritable at times). So certain Birth stars fall under each of these categories, and the matching must be within the same Gana. Birth stars of Boy or Girl of Deva Gana must be matched with the Birth stars of same Deva Gana. Suppose Deva Gana and Rakshasa Gana are considered, for bride and Groom there can be misunderstandings because temperaments will not match with each other. At times you may also come across a natural hatred from the first meeting with some one, and the main reason may be because that your birth star may not match with that person’s birth star
- Mahendra Kuta/Porutham – This matching is for the longevity of the couples.The Birth star of the boy should be 4,7,10,13,16,19,22,25th from the birth star of the Girls.
Yoni Kuta/Porutham – This matching is to make sure there is sexual compatibility between bride and the groom. This can include the sexual urge and attractiveness between the partners and the possible sexual satisfaction from each other. Here the birth stars are divided into Male and female classification of animals. Example . If the boy has Swati star and Girl is Hastha star, then both comes under the animal classification of a Buffalo( One of the birth star is Male buffalo and the other birth star is female Buffalo) and sexual compatibility is the best between them. Similarly you will have to check for each of the birth star. Example Birth star which has for boy/ girl as Cow and tiger; elephant and lion; horse and buffalo; dog and hare; serpent and mongoose; monkey and goat; and cat and rat should be avoided as it will not match at all.
- Rasi( Zodiac) Kuta/Porutham – This is is a basic matching that needs to be done. This agreement is to check if the boy and girl would live in agreement with each other or will they differ and create disharmony. Suppose the boys Rasi is in 2nd, 3rd,6th, 8th from that of Girl’s Rasi, than there is a mis match. However there are few exceptions here as well.
Rajju Kuta/Porutham – This indicates the strength or duration of married life.The Janma Nakshatras of the couple should not fall in the same rajju. If they fall in Sira (head) husband’s death is likely; if in Kantha (neck) the wife may die; if in Udara (stomach) the children may die; if in KatI (waist) poverty may ensue; and if in Pada (foot) the couple may be always wandering. Hence, it is desirable that the boy and the girl have constellations belonging to different rajjus or groups.
Nadi Kuta/Porutham. – Nadi is important because of the health matching of the couple. This is considered to be the most important and at the same time the most significant Kuta. In Sanskrit, Nadi means several things but in reference to astrology, it signifies pulse or nervous energy indicating the physiological and to a certain extent hereditary factors.A boy with a predominantly windy or phlegmatic or bilious constitution should not marry a girl of the same type. The girl should belong to a different temperament.